Interesting Paper Money Facts ~
- While it may be called paper money, our currency isn’t actually made out of paper. Bills are made from a cotton and linen blend, with silk fibers running throughout.
- Each bill is designed to be folded up to 4,000 times before ripping! This is made possible from the linen blend.
- The $1 bill has the oldest design of any bill in US circulation right now, having the same design since 1963.
- Almost HALF of all US money in circulation are $1 bills.
- The largest denomination the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing has ever produced is the $100,000 Gold Certificate, featuring a portrait of President of Woodrow Wilson. These bills were never put into public circulation and used solely for transactions between Federal Reserve Banks.